Sunday, 20 April 2008

Swallows and Bunny rabbits

This morning, whilst I was washing up, I spotted a tiny bunny rabbit on our patio area. I called for Springy but I think the sound must have carried down the sink, down the pipes and out of the outside drain because Baby Bunny ran away.

Springy participated in a St George's Day parade today. It was a scouting and guides thing - lots of flags and lots of tiny Beavers/Rainbows, larger Cubs/Brownies and even taller Scouts/Guides joined in. Springy enjoyed it. We participated in a Church of England thing which was a bit weird - I wish the religious stuff didn't have to come into it. They sang the Lord of the Dance which I always feel is neutral and uplifting in its stance. However, some of the other hymns just were full of "sin" and "smiting" which I cannot stand - Victorian killjoy/superstitous desert deity nonsense. Anyway, I don't think the lady next to me in the pew was happy - I noticed her giving me looks because I didn't sing with the hymns (actually I did - one of them I changed to Sing Susanna, Sing Susanna...to the Lord of the Rings) and wouldn't do the prayers either. The Scout/Guide movement in this country seems to be chockablock full of religious zealots and bigots (not all, thank goodness but there are many) - it's Christianity or you're a godless heathen and therefore evil. If I had been Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, Moslem and so on, the whole thing was exclusive rather than inclusive and...well they just don't get how out-of-date they are when they don't need to be. Morals and kindness are not part of a religion - they are a natural part of human nature and you don't need superstition or supernatural deities to threaten people with in order to be kind and pleasant.

Anyway, little rant over. I was looking outside this evening and up in the sky there was the first swallow of the season. I yelled for C and Springy to have a look too.

No comments: