I found a Saxon maths test thing so Springy and I played a game to do one of the pages together. It was the Primary 1A test:
http://www.sonlight.com/singapore.html
We got out our Maths Gnomes and also our little tumblestones (rose quartz etc) as counters/manipulatives since I dislike worksheets alone at this age and stage. Each question involved telling a little tale - so the ones for addition had Penny Plus gnome going around picking up all the stones, one by one, and Springy worked out the answer. Most of the time I went from the whole to the parts e.g. 3 + 4 = 7 so I would say 7 is 3 plus 4 and then we'd put 7 stones together and arrange the grouping into 3 and 4.
We did the same for any questions with subtraction e.g. 7 - 3 = 4Minnie Minus (the baby blue gnome) was given some stones by her mummy, Penny Plus, and then, because her hands are so small, she dropped a few. So again, we started with the whole (7 stones), made the transfer to baby Minnie and she dropped 4 of the stones. Anyway Springy enjoyed it all. I always say we're going to play maths, rather than use the term "work" as this puts her off.
We received the new Sonlight catalogue a few weeks back and it's been an interesting read. It's a bit offputting to see it as a "Christian" curriculum provider, since we're not but then again I have some good friends who are Christian (even if I think they are a bit loopy for believing in supernatural deities etc - wink) and it's really rather good stuff. I still haven't made any purchases from them but reckon we may well do some of the stuff later on as they have a very broad range of products which can be utilised regardless of belief system. That said, there are some strange (to my way of thinking anyway) books on non-evolutionary science (which to me is a paradox) and lots of testaments from those on missionary work in other countries but I guess to each their own.
Thursday, 17 April 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment