Friday, 4 April 2008

Food Group Introduction for Infants

This is something that I was given when my daughter was little (sorry no reference). I'm sure there are problems with it but my daughter (touchwood) has no problem with any kind of allergy. I modified it as well and will put what I did afterwards:

List that suggested:
0-6 months - breastmilk only
6 months - rice, root veg eg potatotes, carrots, swede, turnip, parsnip
6 months - pears, bananas, apples
7 months - veg such as marrow, cauliflower and broccoli, peas, beans, lentils and tomatoes
7 months - oats, rye, millet
7 months - turkey meat
8 month - beef, chicken (no processed meat)
8 months - wheat
9 months - citrus fruits
10 - 11 months - white fish eg cod, coley, plaice
12 months - eggs

My own thing (this is from memory):
Until 6 months or even more - exclusive breastfeeding (your breastmilk will contain the flavours of everything you eat so this helps with baby's sense of taste)
6 months - baby rice mixed with breastmilk (although baby rice has some controversy)
7 months - avocado, sweet potato
8 months - parsnip, carrot, banana, apple, pears
9/10 months - started with chicken and other veg
12 months - potatoes and tomatoes, white fish, other meat + eggs
15 months - eggs and wheat, tuna
18 months - strawberries
2 years - prawns (I know you're not supposed to start until 3 or so but we eat a huge amount of fish here because we live near the sea - I craved prawns all through my pregnancy but didn't eat them)
2.5 - walnuts (she insists on these because she likes me to make things with the shells)

No comments: