Friday, 18 April 2008

Needle felting - play food

We made 2 items of play food today. Springy loves playing with her basket of pinecones, conkers and the sausage stone (it's a stone that looks exactly like a sausage). I got the needle felting stuff out, blended the regular wool with some yellow merino to make the base for a pizza and topped it with some very yellow wool (melted cheese) , some red wool (using a tiny circular pastry cutter) to make tomatoes and some green wool as the peppers on top. We also made a cake together - again did some fibre blending with some yellow and ordinary wool (the ordinary wool is coarser and better for needle felting and gives the coloured merino some body and grip). I used a circular cookie cutter (the same as for the pizza) to use as a template to needle felt into. Then we built up a layer of 'jam' by using some red and pink blended wool (Springy helped with this), added another layer of cake (ordinary washed fleece with yellow mixed in to give it a sponge cake look) and then some pink icing (again using the ordinary blended with some pastel pink merino). Springy wet-felted (with soap/warm water) a tiny ball to represent a cherry on top. The cake looks delicious and so does the mini pizza - they are perfect as playfood for Springy.

I would like to make vegetables but I seem to better at needle felting using cookie cutters on a 2-d basis and then adding layers (it avoids finger damage - I reckon if Sleeping Beauty was rewritten her father would have removed felting needles from his kingdom!).

No comments: