Wednesday, 20 February 2008

Re: Gurus

One of the things I dislike about some of the holistic educational approaches is the "Guru" stuff that goes with them. It makes me feel distinctly uncomfortable that individuals seem to get credit for ideas that anyone who has worked with children and done child development/developmental psychology or trained in a particular approach etc would easily discover themselves or for ideas that they have not credited in full to others or other systems. One of the set of materials I am currently using (albeit in parts) is making me feel more and more uncomfortable in terms of the credit towards the developer. I have read through the materials and find there are lots of references and credits missing and I don't believe for a minute that the developer is aware of the guru status being conferred upon them. I'm going to say it - Enki. I feel so alien in a way on the Enki lists because I just don't feel that Enki is a way of life, and certainly not my way of life or that of my family. We're taking our own approach and the Enki curriculum is a resource material - some of it I agree with, some of it I don't and I recognise many of the ideas in it from elsewhere. That said, if you have the money to afford it then it's worth getting the materials.

I really like Donna Simmons books and her materials because she knows her training and background and is a) aware that parents have their own wisdom and also b) acknowledges her background in Waldorf and Anthroposophy and unschooling and also c) her own experiences as a home educator and most important d) recognises that children are all individuals too so whilst one idea may work for some it may go very awry for others! I don't feel like I'm joining a cult with many other materials (Letts, Oak Meadow, Cuisenaire rods, Myriad) but I do with Enki and I'm sure it's not what the founder intended!? That said there are some really good parents involved in Enki who have a lot of interesting ideas - I just wish they'd acknowledge themselves, rather than crediting everything to Enki (at least that is how it feels to me).

I think there is a huge difference between American homeschoolers and UK home educators. Over here we seem to have much less in the way of curriculum resources (unless it is the state approved National Curriculum) which although it makes it more difficult since you have to go about finding your own way, it is also means that one is less likely to incur a "guru". We're much more cynical here about "professionals" and "experts" I reckon and maybe it's arrogance but I see myself as equal to professionals and experts, if not over and above them (because I'm the parent!). :)

No comments: