Friday, 1 February 2008

Flu tincture and crocheted scarves

I've given up on knitting but got into crochet. I bought a children's crochet set and within a few hours had figured a lot out (unlike knitting which even though I've attended workshops and gone through it numerous times still gets me muddled). Anyway Springy is now the owner of one cream and lilac scarf made from a bamboo/wool mix. It's great because it is very soft, a natural fibre, doesn't itch and doesn't give her static problems and she keeps telling everyone that her mummy made it.

I've also made a flu tincture using vodka and star anise (the logic behind it is star anise is one of the components in tamiflu, although whether it does anything is another matter). Anyway a teaspoon taken at several points in the day seems to have thwarted off, so far, a cold that was beginning to take hold. It tastes very strong (since I'm not used to alcohol) and very like anise.

My next project is to make some nettle tincture, to ensure our herbal medicine cabinet is well stocked. I will dry some nettles and also use some in cooking because at this time of year they make a great spring tonic herb.

No comments: