We've been reading the sharon fruit story in The World of Fruit: The Storyteller's Guide to Healthy Food series. It's aimed at slightly older, in terms of the activities, than Springy but she enjoys the stories. The series is written by two Russian authors and they have a whole pedagogy/educational philosophy called Moral Education. I love their stories - they're holistic in nature and use fairy and folk tales to convey the information. I've never had a problem getting Springy to eat fruit or vegetables but even so I think it's a nice way of learning about food.
Springy and I ate an artichoke today (as in globe variety, not 'Jerusalem' sunflower root type variety). To prepare cut off the stalk near the base, snip any very raggedy outer tips off and boil for about 30-40 minutes. I popped it in a to share bowl and Springy enjoyed peeling off the 'petals' and eating the fleshy bit.
I just tried to use the artichoke water to dye some wool. It was the most beautiful turquoise colour but as soon as I added vinegar as a mordant it went clear. Doh! I need to read up on what to use as the colour is gorgeous.
Wednesday, 5 September 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment