Sunday, 9 September 2007

Hedgerow Crumble

Today was Hedgerow Crumble today. Yesterday morning we went for a walk along the hedgerows, picking out blackberries, elderberries (Sambucus Nigra), and wild damsons. With a cooking apple and some flour, plain butter and honey (and a little bit of unrefined sugar) Springy and I made a crumble (destone the damsons, pull the elder berries of the twiggy bits, chop apple rough and throw in the blackberries; crumble mix is 5oz plain flour and about 3.5oz butter - rub together to make a crumble and add sugar and honey to fruit to suit your own taste). We had it with double cream and it was delicious. Elderberries are great at this time of year and I intend to make some elderberry syrup for the winter months (but I need to get going as they are almost at the end of their best before on the umbrels).

Yesterday, apart from hedgerow foraging, involved going off in a rowing boat with a picnic for our lunch. It was beautiful weather and we fed ducks and swans (and a few fish) along the way.

No comments: