Another factor that has made this past year more daunting is the lack of resources. This year just gone was so dire on a financial level at various points that there was no way I could have spent money on resources. We have had to make do with what we had but it's not been easy. I am learning about Steiner Waldorf as I go along. Kindergarten I understood really well, perhaps because of my previous knowledge and experience of working with this age group. First Grade didn't seem too bad either - fairy tales and a child who could already read and write with ease because of their own intuition. Second Grade seemed incredibly disordered because I had a) a lack of time to read around Waldorf stuff and b) I had no curriculum materials that I could make sense of. Instead we used non-Waldorf educational materials such as workbooks which Springy didn't always resonate with. Also, my husband, though well-meaning, allowed Springy to watch pop videos and other media forms which I disagreed with but because I was not there to supervise it went unchecked as part of her "education".
We're now in a position to get some resources so I'm putting together lessons.
It's all a bit of a mess but we had a good morning this morning. Last night we read a Bonnie Scheckie book on House of Wood which relates to Native American Indians and also shelter building. Springy did a couple of pages in her Main Lesson book with a picture of things made from wood and also we did a page based on a story from a Live Education Class 2 resource about Grandfather Corn which a friend kindly let me look at. I want to save up and get both the Live Education and Christopherus materials because I realise I can't do Waldorf on my own.
I'm going to read this http://www.waldorflibrary.org/Journal_Articles/klocekchores.pdf because I feel like Springy could do with contributing a bit more to the home.
Thursday, 19 August 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment