We're all suffering from a bad cold at the moment. I can barely speak (pharyngitis) so have only managed to tell 2 stories today (very short ones) from books.
Springy has had a fairly nice time nevertheless. Her silicon swimming hat arrived yesterday, along with a pair of pink goggles (to match the hat) and she has been practising with both of them in the bath tub. She's not happy about her appearance because she looks "different" with the hat on - it squashes and distorts her face and she doesn't know who she is when she looks in the mirror. Her other lovely comment was from the weekend when we sat and watched Return of the Jedi together and she came out with "I know why they have breaks... it's so the people can change their costumes between scenes". This girl shows she has been to the theatre a few times ;)
Anyway, I found two really useful articles at the Waldorf Library:
http://www.waldorflibrary.org/Journal_Articles/Learnreadwriteward.pdf - by William Ward
and the other is on
Teaching our children to write, read and spell by Susan R JOhnson MD. It also mentions bedtime issues and links proprioreceptive stuff i.e. the child is not aware of where their limbs are to having difficulty in getting to sleep. I'm going to think on this for Springy but I'm not sure whether that's really the issue. I know she thinks too much at night but she's very much in her body, more than I was at her age (and I was a good sleeper) but maybe I do need to giver her limbs a gentle massage before sleep and see if this can help. In terms of active days most days she has been out and about and we do other movement type activities. I know on some days we have walked miles, done balancing, climbed and so on and she still can't sleep with ease. I think this may just be the nature of Springy (this was the baby who until 8 months old would have to be woken up to feed and was a very easy and contented little baby.. then teeth and sleep patterns changed).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment