Sunday, 15 July 2007

Bedtime tales

Tonight I told little one a story about the gnome who lives in our garden. Today, whilst I was sat outside in the garden I heard a lot of squeaking and twittering noises and thought it was a bird in distress. I went to have a look and instead saw a shrew. They are so tiny but they are so busy and unbelievably noisy. I was stood over them watching - they appear to be living under our shed and don't seem to care that the human neighbours they have know about them.

Anyway, I made up a story tonight (had to be short because I have a sore throat and a sniffly nose) about our resident gnome hearing the twittering sound and going to have a look for what he thought was a baby bird. Instead he finds that he has new neighbours - the very noisy shrew family. He looks, listens and sniffs for the creatures making the noise and finds them. At the end, having said, "Hello" he goes back home and he and his family settle down for the night.

Anyway small person liked it - I got the "Mum did you make that story yourself?" It's nice to be able to improvise and not hold a book but have all the component parts of a kindergarten age story - little adventure then safe return home again - and it lasted all of about 3 minutes (thus saving my voice).

I've always wanted to do a storytelling course or two because I think it's amazing that people can weave together or memorise stories.

No comments: