Friday, 6 April 2007

Rhythm

Rhythm to me is not the same as routine. This is a term used in Steiner Waldorf circles, particularly for Kindergarten age children and also mentioned are the terms in-breath and out-breath - breathing in and breathing out. This relates to our lives, the parts of the day, the seasons and is also a natural physiological function and mentioned in yoga as well (e.g. pranayama).

How to find rhythm?

I'm not perfect at this (not sure anyone can really be) and this is something that I am still working on. Something that helps is to ask yourself two questions and then write down the answers to give yourself focus:

What do I want to do?

What do I need to do?

and relate these to each person in your family, your family as a collective (we), your daily lives, weekly lives, monthly and also seasonal periods.

In my family housework is important - I need to do laundry, washing up (don't have a dishwasher and we have an annoyingly small sink), the garden during the spring and summer months (a little in the autumn) and so on. We also want to bring in painting, baking, knitting, playtime (very important) and running our businesses etc. I don't even believe that rhythm is exclusive to SW education but it's something that people need (and some people prefer stricter schedules and routines but that's not something that appeals to my rebellious nature).

No comments: