Friday, 6 April 2007

My Child - Remember Your Child

To me the whole reason we are home educating is because we believe that is best for our child and that no one else could improve on that level of responsibility and care.

We're not following any particular method. Since we discovered home education as an option I have always felt that our method is based on our child's needs which is why we're not Waldorf, or Montessori or Enki and so on. Yes, I may borrow some of the ideas from each of these (and other) approaches to education but to me the most important factor to indicate success is the child at the heart of it.

Sometimes it can feel that people are so busy focusing on someone else's approach that they forget their very own child is the reason they are doing the thing they are doing. I know on occasion I have become so entangled with reading up on an idea or philosophy that I go off at a tangent and want to change things to the point that I forget that what I already do is working and needs no label. At the same time I enjoy reading, studying and learning more and more.

The most important thing that Steiner Waldorf has shown me is that you don't need to rush things like academics in too early. At the same time, because my daughter has wanted to read and has figured out reading a little herself I'm not going to discourage her either. It's so beautiful to see her work out symbols around her environment. At the same time it's nice to see her not distressed and also not totally academically focused.

No comments: