Saturday, 4 July 2009

Magnets

We've done experiments the past few days with magnets. It's not exactly part of the waldorf school curriculum at this age and stage but we've got a book called Usborne Science Activities and we also have a science kit with magnets, pins and so on (from Sonlight - who not in a million years did I ever think to buy from because they are Creationist but they list some excellent science resources and we just ignore the creationist stuff and stick to the evolutionary stuff).

I've been impressed so far and it means I don't have to spend all my time looking for bits and pieces around the home. They're all in the one box. Yes, I could have sourced everything myself but sometimes I want my life to be made easier.

We did a magnetic experiment the day before yesterday. Springy had to gather items from round the house, e.g. coins, stones, pencils, and pop them in a bowl and then she used a bar magnet to check whether they stuck or not. We charted this up. She really enjoyed this.

Today we did another experiment this morning with magnets (learning - and home education - doesn't stop, not even for weekends!) and had a pin on zero of a ruler and then moved our magnets nearer and nearer. We found that our ring magnet has the strongest magnetic pull and charted this up in Springy's book again.

On Thursday our family had a good afternoon at the beach. It was very hot but we all had sun hats on and Springy had a swimming t-shirt. C and Springy went swimming in the sea whilst I sat on my chair, like Roy Scheider's character, watching for shark fins...just in case. Last night it rained and it is cooler and windier today so it's not going to be a washing day. The next morning Springy got up late because it was so hot at night that she couldn't sleep.

No comments: