Friday, 20 June 2008

Gnome sums

This morning was, erm, interesting. I got one of the very dry workbooks out that my mum keeps sending to us. This one was Phonics Handwriting! Anyway, I thought Springy may like to have a short go at it. Needless to say she hated it - it was like trying to draw blood from a stone and she wasn't making any effort and kept sliding under the table. We had a nice day yesterday with strawberry picking at the fruit farm and in the afternoon C and Springy made strawberry jam together whilst I did some editorial work.

Back to today, we got the mini chalkboard out this afternoon and did some Gnome Sums. Springy loves doing this and the difference in attitude and energy to the dreadful handwriting workbook was very noticeable. She had 12 sums, along with the stones and the gnomes to help. Penny Plus helped her do the addition sums, Daddy Divide helped with sharing, Minnie Minus didn't exactly help because she's so little she drops stones and Maria Multiply whizzed about making groups of whatever.

I wrote the process sign in the corresponding colours and Springy had both the written equation and the stones as manipulatives (plus the little voices that the gnomes have). She managed every sum and thoroughly enjoyed doing them. She asked for more this evening.

I know that if the gnomes start to write letters then Springy will join in with that, no rush on writing though.

No comments: