One of the things I find is that I can cover in 5 minutes with a one-to-one approach with my child what would probably take several weeks for a class teacher to cover with a whole class. In a way, although I've taken to using the term "kindergarten" my child, in many ways, she won't fit fit the terms Class One or First Grade, and I would imagine it's the same with a lot of home-educated children. The reason I think this is because for me kindergarten means children's garden -it has a sense of freedom about it. However once we start to use Grade or Class it implies a school situation and a system of placing a child via their ability and that's not what I want to be doing. I just want my child to be, so part of me thinks I will be using the term Kindergarten for a good while yet and beyond that I'm not certain. It's also the case that my child is all over the place (in a good way) in terms of her abilities, knowledge and skills - trying to fix a "grade" on her would be very difficult.
Part of me has an idea where I would hope she will be in a few years of time but I don't feel that urge to push her there yet. I feel very happy where we are right now.
What we did this week: went to the zoo, to the library, to the aquarium, shopping, drawings, needlefelted a baby doll for my mum, sang, read stories, watched Home Alone and Home Alone 2 with grandparents (not my choice for a 6-year old but...), spotted some holly berries on a holly hedge, did some crayon pictures (after telling the story of The Frog King and reading up on guinea pigs - so one picture was of things piggies eat such as fruit and vegetables, played loads and loads with dolls and ponies and Polly Pockets (grandparent toys).
Thursday, 6 March 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment