I'm having problems with the term grades or even class/years because they are such school-type classifications. However, I think the term academics fits in for when Springy will start on that type of learning.
So, although Springy can count and already has an informal knowledge of the four processes etc, we will start after Easter with a very light academic approach towards them. I think I've been in a very muddled place recently because I'm trying to wrap my heard around a number of concepts and am aware that changes are afoot in Springy and I need to evolve with that. That said, I want to stick to our overall approach which I would say is Autonomous-Kindergarten. We do the Life Skills which would be recognised by Montessori - if we spill something we wipe it up, we can sweep up with a broom and use a duster. We also do a lot of things that would be recognised by the Waldorf movement - we wet-on-wet paint and do modelling with beeswax and our new kaolin-plasticine and have lots of fantasy play. We go on walks in nature which is another way of saying nature walks (we also go walking in shopping places - shopping walks). We live our day-to-day, week-by-week lives - we work, we run errands, go shopping, visit the library, go to places such as museums and so on and visit friends and family. We have swimming and Beavers.
I'm finding that Enki is good in some areas and I've learnt a lot from the movement stuff. However, in other areas it's not helping me as facilitator and it doesn't fit our family philosophy (but then neither does Montessori, nor Waldorf, nor anything really other than recognising what we do is what we are). I want to get a hold of the Christopherus 1st Grade syllabus because I know that Donna Simmons has a handle on both home education and the autonomous approach, besides which her kindergarten book is a family heirloom. I also want to look at other materials and curriculum for when we approach academics because I really want to ensure that Springy can access those things that really meet her needs.
Monday, 10 March 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment