Wednesday, 24 October 2007

Pumpkin Soup

Today we read one of our favourite stories ever and that is Pumpkin Soup by Helen Cooper. We also read a story book on dinosaurs which is by Jane Yolen.

As we were sitting there reading we heard a gnawing sound and I realised it was coming from near the bookcase. Springy and I spent the rest of the afternoon taking all the books off and moving the bookcase. Lo and behold underneath was a mouse nest - poopies, bits of chewed paper and several crusts of toast! Anyway, I vacuumed, dusted and changed the position of the bookcase - the energy was blocked there (in exoteric terms it was a very impractical corner to get into) and the room feels much better. I've changed all the books in terms of which shelves they are one and somehow the room feels bigger. I'm even thinking about getting a blackboard on the wall which is now open, rather than covered by the bookcase. Whether or not this has solved the mouse issue I do not know but at least I know where to look (and traps have been set again).

Tonight Springy wanted some more jelly after dinner, despite having had a small tub full at lunch. The jelly happens to be a natural fruit jelly with no artificial flavourings or colourings etc, but even so I'm allowed to say "No". Springy disagreed and had a meltdown temper tantrum so because husband and I were starting to get flustered and losing our objectivity (think of one of those old-fashioned weather houses where either the man or the woman moves forward depending on the pressure - that was us and we both kept having to step out of the room to take a breath because she really was being 'horrid'). Anyway, we phoned up Grandpa who is wonderfully objective in these types of situations and is able to act as a mediator. That is unless Springy decides she doesn't want to talk to Grandpa... She did after about 10 minutes speak to Grandpa - she didn't want to at first because she knew her behaviour was not right ("I don't want to because I'm in trouble"). Grandpa sorted it all out over the phone and I held and cuddled her (if I can calm down enough and not lose my temper, despite all the buttons being pressed) then I know that she isn't really every naughty - just bad at communicating or intolerant of my views. She apologised to us, sobbed a little at Grandpa and we discussed the jelly situation and she really did want some so I explained to her why I said No but also decided that (didn't tell her this) that in all honesty the jelly was not really going to cause any major issue. Therefore she ended up with jelly and do you know the real reason for all this? She was plain and simple tired out from lifting all those books today and being such a good little helper and I was too power crazy for that split second at dinner to see that one tiny pot of jelly wasn't a principle worth keeping to. :)

Parenting...

No comments: