Sunday, 18 March 2007

Welcome :)

This is my public home ed blog.

I home educate one child who is in Kindergarten stage - under 7.

I believe that children of under the age of 7 don't need formal academics thrust on them and certainly not my child.

I believe that parents should retain the responsibility of their child's education - welfare and education are two separate issues.

I believe that here in England we start our formal academic school education far too early. I believe that more should be done to encourage and help those parents who wish to spend time with their children to do so. I believe strongly that since we now live in the 21st century, more and more people could be assisted in working from home and for hours that are adapted to family life.

SureStart programmes were started to help people if they wanted and needed it. The research that shows their success was not supposed to be applied across the board - sadly many parents believe that if they don't send their to child to nursery and get them reading from age 3 onwards and "socialising" (in a loud, noisy, survival situation) that somehow their child will be a "Failure". Many parents "reframe" (making the best out of a bad situation by lying to yourself) that they could not bear to spend all day with their child at home - why not have a goldfish instead then? (if you feel the need to pass your child into the care of strangers for a greater percentage of their waking hours than you can be bothered to input for, then my belief is you should not bother to have children - have them adopted instead by someone who will love and care for them directly).

As parents we need to empower ourselves with a range of information as well as trust our instincts.

My child is home-made (we conceived her at home, birthed her at home and we home educate - although this does not mean we spend all our time at home, far from it...). I believe that as my child's parent I should have ultimate responsibility and be treated as such by Government and professionals.

No comments: