Friday, 30 March 2007

Sick with a bug

Ill - yes we've been ill which is why my idea to blog has fallen by the wayside until now. We were supposed to have had a home ed meet up with another family yesterday but just before 2 pm my daughter vomited as we were about to set off.

We have had a weird bug that is going around; it's a cold with either a) diarrhoea (I love spelling that word) or b) vomiting or both. I had the former at the beginning of the week (herbal info for diarrhoea: bistort root with cinnamon bark - place 1 dstspn bistort and 1 cinnamon stick in pan with 1 cup cold water, bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes - caution in pregnancy etc) and now my little girl is in bed with a temperature (currently asleep which is why I am writing but I keep checking her) having both.

I stayed up all last night with her to check she was all right and to help her hold the bucket, sit on the toilet and then carry her back to bed. At about 6 am she stopped vomiting after drinking and has now been keeping fluids down - cold camomile tea and water, alternating, with little sips of each. Husband is wonderful because he took the night off, got his sleep and then took over late morning when I was too tired (managed to get a much needed nap).

I'm hoping that the fever will break and then she should be fine. It's always a worry when you love someone that much and I hate to see her look so sad and weak.

I read her three stories today. She wanted to remain quiet and was asleep for most of the day but I asked if she wanted some stories and I read her three from the Oak Meadow Kindergarten collection. She really enjoyed the one about Princess Eliza and the one about The Golden Spider (who weaves blankets for baby fairies); the third story was The White Snake but it wasn't a good story for reading to a sick patient, at least not my sick little girl.

No comments: