Home education was first enshrined in English legislation back in 1944 under the Education Act (by Winston Churchill's Government).
Section 7 of the Education Act 1996 means that home education is legal in this country. Sadly, the recent Labour Government has been seeking to undermine this by changing legislation surrounding it and also they are now directly involved with making all types of education come under Government statutes. This is something I disagree with - I think the diversity in education is very important because much of the Government does not have child development knowledge, nor do they have experts who are omniscent (plus some of the research the advisors used has been misinterpreted).
To me it is very important to have independence from state interference in terms of education - child welfare is a separate matter and it is important that there are laws to protect children from physical, sexual and emotional violence and abuse. However, getting back to education, I feel strongly that parents' views on education need respecting.
I find myself as a mother under more and more disrespect from professionals. When I chose homebirth I found some professionals openly hostile to my choice. Thankfully I was very fortunate in that I had midwives who were actively respectful to it. I want my own child to have birth choice. At the moment, independent midwives are under attack due to badly thoughtout Government legislation which will make them unable to practice due to costs (insurance-related which will cost more than an independent midwife could earn per annum). Although my own midwives were NHS, it is a lottery as to whether a midwife is a) pro choice in birth and b) has adequate knowledge to help with a holistic birth.
I found the following resources useful:
a) Ina May Gaskin's books
b) the www.homebirth.org.uk site
c) other empowered women who had birthed without their choices being removed (not easy due to the bullying of many professionals)
d) other empowered women who had their choices removed but who have energised other women with information because of being let down
e) Gill Thorn's books
I utilised Kiegel exercises, birth visualisations, breathing exercises and a very supportive husband.
My love goes out to all mothers who have wanted the best for their baby - for those of you have had your choices taken away, my thoughts go out for your daughters so that they can be empowered.
Thank you to all midwives who trust that birth should be beautiful and help support women and their babies in that loving energy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment