Yesterday was local elections day. Springy came with us to the polling station last night - I always think it's important for children to experience going to the voting station and we discussed how in some countries women can't vote and also sometimes you can't have choice between candidates. She's been reading some of the Horrible Histories books from the library. We've also been working through Junior English Book 1 from Galore Park. I really think GP books are excellent value (got mine from Book Depository which was a good discount) but also contain a lot of what I would call the classical elements of a good foundation in education.
Lunch today was homemade focaccia bread with bean, barley and tomato soup. We've gone to being vegetarian for now. It's based on ethical and health reasons. I don't enjoy eating food that I'm friends with and also with our small budget we were buying some very cheap cuts of meat - not only is it disgusting to think of how the poor animals lived but I do not want Springy to have the cocktail of antibiotics, low--grade soya feed in her system.
We're in a financial ditch at the moment. We're having to shop for food and groceries on £40 per week between all three of us. Somehow we manage but there is no spare and no luxury foods. Soup mixes of beans and lentils are helpful overnight. I've been baking bread from scratch (various types) as well.
Friday, 6 May 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment