Tuesday, 27 May 2008

Re: Looking for lost things

Springy has been hilarious this weekend. She's really into telling jokes at the moment - at first they were not funny e.g. Why did the rabbit cross the road? Because it left it's car there! but she's slowly adding in more funny ones, the traditional jokes of childhood that I remember. For instance, she has been telling her Grandpa "Will you remember me in a day? ...a week? ...a month? ...a year?" to which Grandpa responds Yes and then Springy does the "Knock, knock" and Grandpa responds with "Who's there?" ...see you forgot me already... I also taught her a new one today which was to do a gulping noise with your throat and ask what bird is it. It's a swallow!

As I'm typing this Springy is playing before bedtime and the sky is a beautiful lilac, pink and orange colour. I'm hoping that means "Red sky at night, shepherd's delight" and that tomorrow will be a glorious day.

C lost his voice to laryngitis this weekend and Springy wondered whether he had lost his voice under his side of the bed. It was so sweet to hear her say this.

In our garden we have a wren's nest in the ivy. Springy has been watching the parent birds go in and out, bringing food to their chicks. The chicks seem to consist of large beaks, either in closed or open mode. The goldfinches have been fabulous this year - they are like clockwork birds at times with their funny little dances. We also have a baby wood pigeon who is now a fledgling but is still being cared for by her parents. Many of the birds seem to have no fear of Springy.

Springy has been watching the bees on the comfrey and in the foxgloves too. I told her to listen to the bees when they go in the foxglove because the buzzing noise makes more of a ringing sound. It is no wonder that foxgloves are considered fairy flowers in folklore.

This morning's maths lesson was about division. We had iced gem biscuits (a rare event) on a plate and I asked Springy to divide them between her, me and 2 toy dogs.

No comments: