Saturday, 12 January 2008

Baby guineapigs and brine shrimp

One of our friends called us round on Monday to see her new arrivals. They are baby guineapigs and Springy was very excited to meet them. She was allowed to hold them and they were the size of her hands.

Springy had a present of a 'Sea Monkey' tank with eggs and we got them ready to hatch in the water on Tuesday. We now have a little tank full of these little shrimp. Springy wants to name them all but there appear to be about 50 of them. They've already doubled in size from when they hatched so I think we may have to move them to the old Triops tank to give them adequate room.

Our own guineapigs have just had a clean and I found a rat hole chewed into the outside of the shed - not happy! I love pet rats and am quite happy for wild rats to exist but dislike them coming too near my property (and I know they can't help it). I know the local ratcatcher has been working on getting rid of them already so fingers crossed it's very quick before they do more damage. I've checked for signs that they are getting food from the piggies but they don't seem to be (especially since I secure hopper their food).

No comments: