I've been dealing with the Local Authority for several months now, not a on a personal level but on a philosophical principle basis. They have been able to access funding which could benefit older home education but until recently have sought to avoid accessing it. Anyway, I approached the political hierarchy instead and they agreed. It's been a rather interesting foray into the world of Government (yet again).
Dealing with the Government is weird. It's not based on common sense at all and it's extremely irritating. You can have all the law of the land laid out in front of you against someone but the civil service will not back you up, even though they can tell you the information you have is correct on a factual basis. The LA seems to have made it a criteria that if you want funding for your child in effect to leave home education and go to college, then you will need to have been registered with them for at least a year and under their scrutiny. So now we're fighting this little piece of ultra vires caveat. I can understand that the LA need advanced notice in order to upfront the funding but there is a huge difference between a notification of interest and registration. The rules they sent back also imply that they will want to scrutinise you and your child's education and abilities before they will fund. Again, this is something they have no right to do - yes, I agree that both a college and a family should meet and interview, present a portfolio, discuss the involvement and responsibilities of the learner for the course. None of this, however, should be down to the LA.
I do keep reports and notes etc but I'd rather share them with friends and family. I would also hate it if we had to do what teachers do as it would kill the spontaneity of home ed. Today for instance we discussed decomposition and mortuary gases on our walk because there is a myxomatosis outbreak in the area, with lots of dead bunnies lying about (sadly). We also talked about post-war farming and large scale agriculture (it came off the back of the discussion of the virus) and then discussed how raptors had been affected and why red kites numbers had fallen years back due to poisoning. Springy also made a pineapple, almond milk and fresh picked raspberries from the garden smoothie with her dad. I love that not having to plan every last detail towards some kind of tickbox approach. That said we are partially structured too but it would be soul destroying to work from 9 to 3 with a term plan etc.
A few nights ago I read Animal Farm by George Orwell. I highly recommend this book as a reminder as to why it is good to remind oneself to note one's own memories and trust in your own ability to work with democracy. It's been a few years since I last read it; the first time was when I encountered is as one of my set texts on my degree.
This week has also seen us work on our German. I'm starting a Certificate in German in a few weeks - I can't wait because I'm hoping at the end of it I will a) be able to teach Springy really well (and during the course too) and b) that I will be able to read German Waldorf websites and craft magazines/books.
We also have done a little bit on apostrophes and how they show an omission. The one we really struggled with was I had - I'd because it's one we realised that we never say. We say I'd for I would and we often shorten she is to she's and do not to don't and many of the others but not I had. I also got out the Yoga Pretzels cards - great fun. Springy did the Turtle, the Fish and a few other yoga moves.
No comments:
Post a Comment