Friday, 4 July 2008

White Plume Moth

In our front garden we have a patch of mugwort which I've allowed to grow, although a few days ago I pruned it back a bit to avoid it killing off the roses behind it, and also harvested the mugwort (it's not a herb I've utilised except I had moxibustion when I was pregnant).

Springy and I saw a beautiful moth and upon identification we discovered it was a white plume moth. We found one yesterday by our strawberry patch and I caught it (very gently) and held it until C came out to have a look at it. He thought we were a bit potty when I first described the moth from the other day because I said it had fairy wings and was pure white. I've been trying to identify it and it turns out it is called a white plume moth, although I prefer "Pandora":

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/moths%20p4.html#LWhPlume

We also identified another moth we saw last year which was a cinnabar moth, looking quite tropical.

Around the garden I've noticed lots of cockchafer beetles (maybugs), mainly deceased. It seems to have been a good year for them to turn from larval stage into adulthood.

Today we had a lovely walk and saw 5 cygnets. Many of the ducklings and cygnets have been lost this year because of rooks predating on them. For some reason the grub cycle this year means rooks and other corvids have had to rely on other food (possibly the wet summer in 2007!).

No comments: